“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress…”

James 1:27

Our cell phone number in Ukraine is: +38 097 828 9477. We are 8 hours ahead of Texas time. We can receive text but cannot send them. You can also reach us by email at joniredding@hotmail.com.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Time

I want Christmas to be a time where we reflect on the birth of Our Savior and spend time honoring and praising Him for all He has done for us!  But I find myself being so busy that I don’t have time to stop and be thankful.  I am working on that.  I’ve been so busy buying gifts, making gifts, monogramming, organizing school parties, trying to keep my house clean, ect. that I go to bed at night feeling like I’ve once again failed at teaching my kids to celebrate Christ first during this season.  We are leaving Friday to go on a Mission Trip to a town close to Mexico.  I am hoping and praying that this will be a great time for God to open our eyes to what’s really important.  The kids each chose a child to buy gifts for and we are going to deliver them.  My uncle has organized all of this and he’s selected a very poor school and had people buy a box full of gifts and clothes for each of the 125 students.  We will have a birthday party for Jesus where we will share the Christmas story and then give them the gifts.  My kids are super excited.
Ellie was in a play at our church on Sunday.  She was “Granny” and she did a great job.  She sang a solo and it was really good!  It was her first play where she had a big part and she loved it.  After her solo she was supposed to climb back on the top riser.  Another little girl was trying to help her up and she completely fell off and landed very loudly.  Poor Ellie.  No, she thought it was hilarious!  We have it on video and she shows everyone she can.  It was a very “Granny” thing to do.  I was thinking that maybe we can send the video in to Americas Funniest Home Videos and win enough money to pay for the adoption!  I love that she can laugh at herself like that!  Jody always says that she will fall at her wedding and that does seem likely!  Here are a couple of pictures of Ellie as “Granny”.
dscn0044
dscn0048
Oh, another neat thing was that after the play our pastor showed a video of “The Christmas Linebacker” (made like “The Office Linebacker”).  It was so funny.  I didn’t realize it but my dad leaned over and told me that it was Derwin Gray who he coached in high school.  Here is the link to check it out: http://www.sermonspice.com/videos/3859/christmas-linebacker
Jacob had a school play last night and it was really cute, but it added a lot to my busy week.  His teacher sent home a note last week that he needed to have a yellow sweatshirt, yellow sweatpants, and yellow mittens for the play.  Not gloves, mittens.   These things do not exist in stores.  I went everywhere I could think of.  My friend had to find white mittens for her son so she searched too.  No luck.  My mom went to Academy and found a yellow shirt, yellow shorts, and yellow baseball socks.  He was the cutest lion ever!  For the mittens, we decided to make them.  So we stayed up late sewing mittens the night before the play but they turned out great.  The play was called “The Mitten” and the white mittens I made were the star of the show! 
dscn0068

dscn0065
Check out the mittens!