“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress…”

James 1:27

Our cell phone number in Ukraine is: +38 097 828 9477. We are 8 hours ahead of Texas time. We can receive text but cannot send them. You can also reach us by email at joniredding@hotmail.com.

Monday, June 6, 2011

On our way!

We are at the airport in Washington D.C. waiting for our flight to Munich.  I can't believe we are actually on our way!  It was really hard to leave the boys this morning - much harder than I expected (that explains the puffy eyes in the picture).  I was taking a picture of Jody and Ellie before we got on the plane and a girl came and asked us if we wanted her to take it of all three of us. We started talking and she works for a non-profit organization and is on her way to Africa.  After we talked a little more, we discovered that we have a really good mutual friend in New Braunfels and that she went to High School with my brother-in-law.  Small world!   Our 1st flight was 3 hours.  The one we are about to get on is 8 1/2 hours.    We will have a 4 hour layover in Germany and then a 2 hour flight to Kiev.  Once we get to Kiev, we will get a Ukrainian cell phone and I will post the phone number.  We can receive text message whenever we have WiFi but it's too expensive to send them.  We disabled voicemail on our phones too.  We will mostly communicate with Skype and email.  While I was typing this they asked if they could check Ellie's carryon and it is too big so we have to check it.  (That is probably a good thing because she has almost fallen several times, run over a few feet, and almost caused a few wrecks with her suitcase)  So I had to dig through her tightly packed suitcase to find her clothes for our SDA appointment just in case it gets lost somewhere.  We only checked one suitcase and it was filled with food and gifts and things for the orphanage.  We each packed in a small carryon and brought a backpack.  It is impressive how light we packed.  I was pretty proud of myself.  Also, we spent all day yesterday at Ryan's baseball tournament.  I was completely packed on Thursday which is pretty amazing for me because I do everything at the last minute.  At Ryan's tournament I got hit in the thigh by a foul ball so I have a really ugly bruise.  Ouch!

I was typing this earlier and then realized everyone had borded the plane so I had to hurry.  We are here now and I will post again tonight with pictures of our apartment.  Here are some pictures of our trip.


ok, so here is one picture and it took forever to upload so we are going to go eat dinner and I will finish posting later.  Ellie slept pretty good on the plane and Jody slept ok.   I think I got about an hour total of sleep so it will probably hit me soon.  Our Ukrainian phone number is +3809678289477

3 comments:

  1. I loved getting to meet y'all! Such a small world....but a BIG God! Sending my love and prayers your way. Excited to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! I can't believe how long y'all had to be on airplanes!!
    Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!!!
    Praying and praying!!

    ReplyDelete